My day was like a McDLT

Breaking the 180-degree Rule
Originally uploaded by nailmaker.
Yesterday, I rather enjoyed an acute case of meterological whiplash.
I woke early in a lovely room in the Beverly Hilton (I was there on a project for the Hilton Corporation) with a view of the Hollywood sign from my room. Not this view, mind you, but it was still cool to see the famous sign, even if it was not less than a mile away. The air was warm, humid and smog-free. I woke early, held the door for golfer Vijay Singh on my way out, and headed to the airport.
Six hours later, I stood on Belmont Avenue, about a mile from our house. It was 14 degrees, and I was standing in a deep puddle of slush, waiting for a bus. The air was, shall we say, crisp, but everyone's spirits seemed to be lifted by the bright sunshine and the bright white snow.
I got home and enjoyed a few minutes of playtime before I went to pick up Baxter. He was, as usual, well bundled against the cold, and he wanted desperately to try the snowshoes he got for Christmas. Once he got them on, there was no stopping him, and we floated over the knee-deep drifts like arctic hares. Okay, maybe not that last part.
Anyway, I realized that I like the hot side AND the cold side, especially in the same sandwich day.

5 Comments:
As you well know, I *love* a good McDLT reference. Nicely done. It's just too bad that we're in the part where the cold stays cold.
Hey, don't denigrate the lettuce and tomato!
Ive never experienced such a wide swing in one day of travel, but in general I love the way traveling makes the day disjointed. Maybe it's nerdy, but I relished my trip out east last summer partly because leaving JFK, I could see the Atlantic, and a few hours later we zoomed over Lake Michigan. My head would probably explode if I ever flew transpacific. "California *and* Japan? In the same 'day'? No way!"
You sure know your audience! Who knew there were so many McDLT lovers out there. At least lovers of the concept - did anyone actually ever eat one?
Did anyone eat one?! What?! That's all I ever ate at McD's in those years! (What years were those, anyway? Did I go more than 2x a year? Who knows, but I loved me a McDLT!)
"Did anyone actually ever eat one?" More like, "How could anyone not have eaten several?" That was the finest sandwich of them all - better than the (delectable) Big 'n' Tasty or the double Whopper. Oh, man... Many a dinner was had at the McDonald's in Ironwood, Michigan, putting away a McDLT, fries, and a chocolate shake.
Post a Comment
<< Home