Dig it

Winter arrived on cue overnight, dumping a metric bunch of wet snow
on our lovely neighborhood.
I spent last night giddy about the predicted storm — snow seems like
a lot of harmless fun when you're both a renter and a telecommuter.
Plus, I own real, honest-to-god snowboots for the first time since I
was a kid. Inside those, I feel damn near invincible.
Then Jordan and I remembered that despite our snowful years in St.
Paul and Boston, we'd never owned a car in a snowy climate. When will
they plow our street? Where will we park? Shouldn't we buy a shovel?
So, on our walk back from Baxter's soccer class at the Y, we stopped
at Walgreen's to buy a shovel to dig out the car. (And, as it turns
out, to clear our stairs and sidewalk, despite our landlord's early
assurances that he's always "right out there with the snowblower when
the first flake lands.") We managed to clear the car this morning in
time for Jordan to get to work, but her lunch-time assignment is to
go to Target to buy a scraper or two.
Baxter was thrilled to don his full snow regalia to school:
snowpants, Michelen Man jacket, mittens, neck gaiter, hat AND hood.
Lyle is eargerly awaiting his first snow plow sighting. I had
fantasies about cross-country skiing around the neighborhood today,
but the snow's far too wet for anything more than some killer snowballs.
I'm sure we'll have more snowy stories over the weekend. This is,
after all, the first time that snow has fallen on the boys' own home.
6 Comments:
I am jealous! We've got nothing here except cold air. But I hope you-all can enjoy the snow! It sounds fantastic. A snowy Chicago is lovely. Post more pictures!
Yes, it really is beautiful. Maybe because it started with rain and ice, the snow is sticking to every branch on every tree. I admired it all the way home from work.
It was funny how the storm sent us scrambling - my boots had never been unpacked and we realized we didn't have waterproof gloves yet. A big LL Bean order was placed pronto! And now that we own one shovel and two scrapers for the car, we are all set for the next one!
It has always been a source of wonder and amazement for me, these baffling neck 'gaiters.'
The word always struck me as a mite odd. As a youth, I wondered if it were named for the peculiar brand of reptiles with elongated mouths and menacing smiles. As a teen, my mind turned a tad and I pictured it as a neck 'aider,' a sort of handy-dandy accessory of Americana that safely escorted an exposed neck through blustery, wintry months. In my 20s, I don't think I ever gave a thought to the damn things.
But now, having turned the page on my 20s and joined the ranks of the thirtysomethings, it is all clear. 'Gaiter.' It's a neck 'gaiter.' It works. Neck 'gaiter.' Fantastic.
I thank you for your public service.
And, dear cuz, did you know that the waterproof things you can put on to cover your lower legs in the snow are also called gaiters? Leg gaiters. Kinda like leg warmers, except waterproof. Had to order me some of them yesterday for shoveling, walking, snowshoeing, etc.
Dangit. We missed the snow in Seattle while we were in Chicago and basking in heat. Now that we are back in Seattle, Chicago gets a crapload of snow. Sometimes you can't win for losing.
Sorry, West Side, but just remember: you guys are SO GOOD. Just ask Iris.
Post a Comment
<< Home