Mess, Sweet Mess
If you are anything like me, you are on this blog in spite of (because of?) the many piles of paperwork surrounding your computer. Piles that include business documents and reports, written to-do lists, notices from your child's school, receipts, and, more than likely, bills. You are hoping that these bills are benign, given that you deal with billing online, but know somewhere in the back of your head that there just might be something in there you were supposed to deal with last night. Or maybe last week. If you're lucky.
I clean up the piles. Sometimes. Maybe every couple of months. I often think that it's something I should do, and then decide that I have bigger fish to fry, so I go fry 'em. And it doesn't usually bother me. It only starts to get to me when there are other things in life that feel out of control; that's when the piles on my desk and the kitchen counter suddenly grow big, scary fangs and hairy arms with sharp claws that reach out towards me every time I walk by, pretending not to look.
If you can relate to this - and would like to feel better about the little messes in your life - you may be interested in this article from today's New York Times. I can't imagine why Matt thought to send it to me!
1 Comments:
I like this paragraph most: "But contrarian voices can be heard in the wilderness. An anti-anticlutter movement is afoot, one that says yes to mess and urges you to embrace your disorder. Studies are piling up that show that messy desks are the vivid signatures of people with creative, limber minds (who reap higher salaries than those with neat “office landscapes”) and that messy closet owners are probably better parents and nicer and cooler than their tidier counterparts. It’s a movement that confirms what you have known, deep down, all along: really neat people are not avatars of the good life; they are humorless and inflexible prigs, and have way too much time on their hands."
Post a Comment
<< Home